After completing this lesson you will be able to:
- Define the following terms: average speed, average velocity, constant speed, constant velocity, instantaneous speed, and instantaneous velocity.
- Distinguish among: speed and velocity; constant, average and instantaneous speed; constant, average and instantaneous velocity.
- Calculate: constant and average speed; constant and average velocity.
- Construct a position versus time graph or a displacement versus time graph of a moving object.
- Determine the displacement of an object on a velocity versus time graph or a position versus time graph.
- Interpret position versus time graphs or displacement versus time graphs to determine type of motion and position at a specific instant.
- Analyze position versus time graphs or displacement versus time graphs to determine constant velocity, average velocity and instantaneous velocity.
- Solve problems relating to speed and velocity.
- Use charts, tables and graphs to obtain numerical information.
- Estimate the velocity of various moving objects.
- Determine the slope of a graph and derive its correct units.